Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Yamapi’s feelings and perceptions of New York City!



Yamapi had always wanted to visit New York. We send you the things that he saw, touched, and felt, straight from his heart.

Yamapi went to Okinawa with only one paper bag for luggage. What about this time? "Of course, I need at least a duffel bag!" What's inside? "A laptop, a portable music player, clothes. My clothes are just T-shirts. A change of pants? Nah, don't need that." As usual, Yamapi travels light. Incidentally, he was reading a novel by Keigo Higashino[1] on the plane.

Yamapi also received many compliments from the locals. After having a brief conversation in English, the two shake hands. Good-looking men are cross-cultural ♥

INFORMATION
[Yamapi's] solo single LOVELESS and its PV are both set in New York. "It goes well with the atmosphere of a bittersweet romance. Utilizing the power of the beautiful scenery here, the finished product is more than 100% great. This song has a different sound, choreography, and look to it than the others. I hope you'll listen to it and spend some time in the world that this song inhabits."

Loveless MV (filmed in New York)

=================

What's really distinct about New York is how flashy it is. The fact that people from all over the world gather here is enough, but on top of that, just walking around I have a feeling that I heard a lot of people speaking Spanish. There are many people here who just use English as a tool. In Japan, if you go to the melting pot, Roppongi, the situation might be similar. But here, everything sounds like a foreign language, so it's really cool. The billboards and posters are all in English, too! Even though they're right in front of my eyes, they look like they're in a faraway world. On the other hand, for Americans, kanji apparently looks exotic. There are a lot of people who confidently wear tattoos of words that don't make sense... like the word "yume (dream)". They choose words that Japanese people wouldn't because they think the designs look nice, I guess. I wonder if it's the same feeling as me looking up at a billboard in English.

As an Asian, I can tell if people are Chinese or Korean, but I've heard that it's hard for other people to differentiate. But, the person who just talked to me asked how to say "thank you" in Japanese, which means she knew just by looking at me, right? Am I really Japanese-looking? Sometimes, on my own I think I look sort of Thai?! I'm wearing sunglasses, but still, that's makes it even more different! It's a mystery.

The center of New York, as I experienced and saw it first-hand, was just as I imagined it. As it's portrayed in photographs and movies, there is a strong sense that this is the New York that transmits all sorts of shows and entertainment to the world. When you take a step away to a different area, though, there's a different feel in each place, and it's fascinating. I was surprised to find that even though it's autumn, it's pretty cold. I bet winter is freezing. If I come in the winter, I'd like to come privately so that I can go out whenever I want and return to my hotel when it gets cold (laugh). I'd like to spend my time freely, taking dance lessons and going to some different bars.

Other than that, I'm really satisfied to have accomplished my goal to eat hot dogs while I was abroad. I ate three in just two days (laugh). All of them were delicious, but with that said, Americans' tastes don't match mine at all! That's because I can say with confidence that Japanese food is the best in the world! Compared to any cuisine in the world, in terms of presentation and service, the Japanese are extremely delicate. In Japan, both customers and waiters have to be very attentive. In America, it's just a crash of dishes... and my waiter used a plate full of food to clear space for another plate on my table! I went to a fast food restaurant too, but... there was nothing teriyaki-based! I have a renewed appreciation for how great Japan is. Despite all of that, there was a really delicious sandwich I had in Harlem. This trip allowed me to realize anew that sandwiches go best with coffee, and rice balls are meant to be eaten with green tea!

When I'm away from Japan, I am always hit with the desire to understand my own country more deeply. I take notes about each little place and moment that touches me, and I take lots of pictures. By staying alert and putting up my own antenna to pick up interesting things, coincidental happenings build up to create necessity. When I'm at maximum sensitivity, that antenna won't let go of what it catches. That feeling helps me continue to grow and become a new person. For me, the big push right now is the oncoming Year of the Ox. When I first entered Johnny's, the season was approaching the Year of the Ox, too. This year, coming to New York has also been the Year of the Ox. Don't you think that it's easy to believe that something will happen during the year of your zodiac sign? It's an amazing feeling to find that there is a year in the cycle you have a strong connection with! I think that you've got to take good care of those opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment